Saturday, May 21, 2011

Women in Power Conference Panelist

I was asked to participate in the panel discussion entitled “Breaking Through the Abuse – From Victim to Victorious” during the 2011 Women in Power Conference. The theme for the conference was "Breakthrough: From Victim to Victorious". The goal was to inform and empower each woman in the following four key areas: Political Awareness/Community Involvement; Health & Wellness, Business & Economic Empowerment; and Spiritual Development. 

I was thankful to have the opportunity to participate. After the panel discussion, so many women cried, prayed, expressed their gratitude and even shared with us that we told their stories. As my dear friend and fellow panelist, Sister Tracy, says, "Healed people heal people." This was proven true today... 

There have been a few times when I have asked myself if constantly speaking and doing all of what I have done has truly helped the cause of sexual violence. It just seems that every time I watch the news, more and more stories appear of this heinous crime. However, today was a day where I felt empowered and encouraged to continue this God-given mission of mine. The women who listened to our panel today responded in a way that proved to me that my work, while many cannot understand, is not done in vain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!