Saturday, October 2, 2010

Speaking on the "Sighlent Storm" & My Thoughts on the Bishop...

I have made many mistakes in my life and in no way claim to be perfect. However, I will claim to be  a devout follower of Christ and I am constantly asking for his mercy and forgiveness for what I have done wrong. I am asking you to forgive me now if the following comments on this post offend you...


I do not trust many men of God. When I meet any type of clergy, I am very, maybe even overly, cautious. This is why I absolutely believe the four young men who came forward against "Bishop" Eddie Long. 


I believe Wallace Best, Ph.D., a professor of Religion at Princeton University, said it best when he wrote: "To my mind, one of the most important lessons is this: If your pastor drives a Bentley and wears a watch with a value equivalent to your annual salary, it is time for you to find another church. But the lessons go even deeper, cutting to the heart of black church history and culture, particularly as it relates to issues of sex and sexuality." (From Best's article The History and Culture of the Black Church: Lessons from the Eddie Long Scandal)


People are so quick to believe those who wear the uniform of a clergy--they are human and make mistakes just like the rest of us. I was appalled to find a mega-church supporting a mega-loser, but then again, I am used to seeing losers be supported...


Don't get me wrong: the clergy who abuse others can be forgiven too. The thing is, they have to CONFESS their faults. Trying to save your million dollar home or outstanding reputation by lying is not the way to obtain the sovereign's forgiveness...
I called in this morning to , a radio show a half hour program, hosted by Mandrell Birks and Denise McCain, airing on Saturdays at 9:00 AM (EST) which is unique in its consideration of the issue of violence against women and men. It emphasizes many interrelated aspects of the issue – physical abuse, sexual assault, young adult violence, hate crimes across the lines of gender, and the gender bias in our judicial system that further victimizes survivors of abuse. The term “Sighlent” is defined as abuse being ignored by families, communities, politicians, and faith based organizations. The term “Storm” stands for the emotional, psychological, social, and physical trauma that families endure during the cycle of physical abuse.


I was thankful to share how important it is for victims to receive support... or else expect to see a continued silence. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!