Monday, July 12, 2010

Multi-Lingual ;)

I have so many new, young friends from all over the world now! I don't think they remember my name (lol) but they are always excitedly greeting me and sharing stories about themselves. I am so impressed with the ambition of these girls.

They have shared not only stories, but also some of their culture by teaching me phrases in their language:

Yuriko, from Japan, taught me "I love you": A i shi te ru. 

Linda, from Germany, taught me "How are you?": Kak gena? (pronounced kak-de-la)

Niove, from Greece, taught me "Hello, My name is LaQuisha.": Yashoo. Me devai LaQuisha. (pronounced me-le-nay)

Julia, from Brazil, who speaks Portuguese, taught me "Hello, My name is LaQuisha.": Oi, mei nome e LaQuisha.

My dear friend and sponsor of this trip, Wendi, who is fluent in English, German and French, taught me the following phrases in German:

Hallo/ Guten Tag (Hello)
Mein name ist LaQuisha. (My name is LaQuisha. Pronounced mine-na-ma-est)
Ich liebe dich. (I love you. Pronounced itch-lee-bah-deesh)

Of course, I have some French basics from my previous education, which I needed since the primary language in Switzerland is French. :) I have greeted all French speakers with "Bonjour! Je m'appelle LaQuisha. Enchante!" Most locals can tell that I am not a fluent French speaker due to my accent, lol.

This has been such an educational volunteer opportunity so far. Leysin American School houses about 300 international students from 40+ countries. I have met Brazilian, Portuguese, Greek,  Spanish, Japanese, Russian, Italian, Croatian, Tunisian (North Africa), Kuwaiti, Iranian and Chinese students. Such diversity! I am glad to be a part of it! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!