Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Today...

Today, one of the students in Queendom: The Etiquette Academy (T.E.A), revealed to me that she is being sexually abused by her aunt’s baby father. I began Queendom in an effort to help teenage girls with this very issue. While I am obligated as a teacher to report this abuse, I also want to maintain her trust. She looks up to me… I must influence her to tell. Currently, she feels that she should not tell because her aunt really “loves” this guy and she does not want to mess this up for the aunt. However, while she is trying to please her aunt, who is going to please her and make sure she does not get her feelings hurt? This beautiful young lady is 14 years old, bearing this type of weight on her shoulders. I wish I could make it all go away…

On the other hand, I submitted my work today to the Break the Silence Project. Dawn, the organizer of the project, is such a nice person. I have never met her in person, but she has definitely shown herself friendly via emails! Feel free to visit and submit your own work to the website: http://breakthesilenceproject.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!