Saturday, October 29, 2011

Silent Tears No More: Domestic & Sexual Violence Empowerment Breakfast

With a former Mrs. United States Queen
I love this annual event run by one of my favorite organizations, Sisters 4 Sisters, Inc., in which I have been a member of since 2008. Carolyn Washington, the founder, truly has a heart to serve the entire world and she is starting in Prince George's county! View the video of this event here!

I first presented at this breakfast in 2009 (view the blog entry here) and came back to present again this year! :) I taught the audience how to take the steps towards healing with a very interactive presentation. To date, I have always had some entertainment in my presentations here... lol. 
 Miss Montgomery County's Outstanding Teen, her mom and I. Beautiful, hard-working and powerful women in our community!
I was ecstatic to see so many men and young men in the audience. While men are also victimized, the fact is women are at a much higher risk of experiencing violence. Men who stand against violence are key to its eradication. 

 I stand against violence... forever and always. As I signed this, I had a quick thought of some friends who said that I need to take a break, sit down and enjoy life because I have done "enough". The approximate 9 seconds that it took me to sign this is the amount of time needed for another person to be raped or beaten. I am so glad I cut off naysayers (part of my presentation!).
Congratulations to the Honorable Judge Cathy Serette, who is a fair judge, offering services to victims of sexual and domestic violence, who received the Love Cares Award from Sisters 4 Sisters, Inc. just now. I thank God for people like her in our community.


Until the next event...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!