Sunday, January 16, 2011

NBC4 Health Expo: Year 3 For Me!

For a third year in a row, my husband and I volunteered for Stop the Silence: Stop Child Sexual Abuse at the 18th Annual NBC4 Health Expo! There were 200+ businesses and non-profit organizations who provided thousands of dollars of free advice and information, tests and screenings, and services. While here, Mardis and I met survivors and many people who wanted to volunteer for the organization, especially Queendom T.E.A.! While many ran from our table due to not wanting to discuss the issue of child sexual abuse, many welcomed the idea of spreading awareness and being an advocate for the cause.
It all started at 8:00 a.m. in Washington, D.C.  After 10 hours, we heard many survivor stories, raised over $100 and found that there was a lot of interest in Queendom T.E.A. I was happy to see such a great turnout this year and even happier to have the support of my dear husband who did not leave my side the entire day.

Before leaving, I had the opportunity to potentially bring a smile to the face of a child or teen with aids. Youth Haven, a camp and retreat center in D.C. provides and funds great opportunities for these youth. When arriving to the camp, the child or teen will find a butterfly, filled with encouraging words on their pillow. I wish I could see the face of the person who receives mine... :)

1 comment:

  1. Boy, you're quick, L -thanks for posting the pic and info! GREAT to see you and Mardis, and thanks for all the great work! Pam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!