Thursday, February 11, 2010

My Reaction to Oprah's Conversation with Child Molesters



Within the first 5-10 minutes of the Oprah show, I thought to myself, "This is what I have been saying for years!" She shared helpful information: 

  • 90% of child molesters know their victims 
  • Parents need to listen to kids when they tell about abuse. A friend of mine responded to this: "This is a very true statement. I documented that same statement in one of my research papers. We really need to listen to our children more. When they don't want to be left with a particular person we should wonder... ask why... and react accordingly."

When the interviewing proceeded, I immediately thought that it may be too much for me to watch. It was so raw, graphic and a reality. It pained me to see these men walking around with these disturbing and horrific thoughts of children (as young as 5 years old) in their head.

One of the most important things I believe Oprah said on the show was that "Molesters do not want you to talk. If you are a child watching [reading] this, TELL SOMEONE!! If your parents don't believe you, KEEP TELLING until you reach someone who does!". To this day, I wish I would have done that...

I thought the best way for me to even get through the show was to commentate while watching it--release my own feelings, if you must. I utilize Facebook, a social network, to do so. 

When I began updating my status, friends immediately began commenting. Some even sent me messages to "watch Oprah". A friend that I have chatted with and become close with in nearly a year told me while discussing the show that she too was victimized. Victims commented and shared their hurt and pain, while I furiously continued to type updates of Oprah's show. What began with two people "liking" the conversation ended in more than ten people "liking", reading and/or commenting on the conversation. 

This day, this conversation, these women and teens helped me to understand that I MUST continue my work through sharing my story...











LaQuisha Hall Is listening to Oprah say things I have been saying for years...


LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
Oh my, this might too much for me...
Mon at 4:04pm · 
Rebecca Crosen
 I'm glad you are watching! ;-) ♥
Mon at 4:04pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
So far, the age range is 5-14...
Mon at 4:04pm · 
Rebecca Crosen
 Its ok sweetie...it will help people like me learn, and understand.
Mon at 4:05pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
How can a father get aroused from his own daughter... it is really hard not to judge them.
Mon at 4:06pm · 
Angela Pinder
 I was just about,to tell u watch oprah lol
Mon at 4:06pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
I pretended to be sleep too... :(
Mon at 4:07pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
Oprah looks like she is going to cry...
Mon at 4:09pm · 
Rebecca Crosen
I just don't have the words to describe what this makes me feel...I can't imagine
Mon at 4:09pm · 
Candylove Saunders
 I just turned it on...omg
Mon at 4:09pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
Oprah was raped and 9 and molested until she was 14?? I can't believe she had the courage to do these interviews...
Mon at 4:11pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
Hmmm... neglect... keeps coming up. Unbelievable...
Mon at 4:14pm · 
Candylove Saunders
my roomate is watching it with me and her eyes keep watering up...this is terrible!
Mon at 4:19pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
Absolutely terrible... I don't know how Oprah had the strength to do these interviews... I feel like fighting all 4 of those men.
Mon at 4:20pm · 
Jocelyn Saunders
I thought about you as soon as it came on.
Mon at 4:21pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
Thanks sis... This just confirms what I have been saying that some have not listened to... I hope they are watching.
Mon at 4:22pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
Of course it hurt her, she was 5 years OLD!! She is not ready for sex?? I don't understand why a 60 year old thought a 5 year would think sex was enjoyable...
Mon at 4:23pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
I wonder if they have stopped... If they have quit molesting children. What do you think?
Mon at 4:24pm · 
Candylove Saunders
Well you know my story, and I swear I had no clue how common it was. Like this is crazy!
Mon at 4:24pm · 
Rebecca Crosen
This makes my inner-momma bear mad, but it does teach me the signs to look for.
Mon at 4:24pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
How many children do you have?
Mon at 4:25pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
Oprah was raped AND molested by family... :/ Frustrated...
Mon at 4:26pm · 
Rebecca Crosen
One daughter - she's 10...this disturbs me greatly
Mon at 4:27pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
Again, victims don't yell, kick and scream! They don't immediately tell... a conversation I just had this past weekend.
Mon at 4:28pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
The grooming process... they say it like they have been to school for this.
Mon at 4:33pm · 
Candylove Saunders
where was that conversation at?
Mon at 4:33pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
2 or 3 times a week... sounds familiar...
Mon at 4:40pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
My abuser told me when I turned 18 he was going to marry me and he, too, told me he loved me...
Mon at 4:41pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
He is right... he KILLED that girl even though she is still alive. :(
Mon at 4:42pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
Oprah said it: "When a child is abused, it kills their spirit. It changes who they are."
Mon at 4:42pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
I ♥ my cat... She is sitting in my lap, as if she knew she needed to be close to me right now. :)
Mon at 4:45pm · 
Candylove Saunders
When your abused it definately changes your whole outlook on the world...everybody and everything! Im suspicous of all older men now! It hurts to say it but family mainly! I don't even worry as much about other men that I know...Everytime someone goes in to give me a hug, I tense up a little...Everytime someone reaches out to touch me or get something from me, I try not to get to close or make sure their hands are down. I am very much so damaged!
Mon at 4:46pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
THANK YOU! A child molester said if parents watch they would KNOW what is going on... how many pairs of shoes and birthstone rings did I have to get??
Mon at 4:47pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
My apologies all, I am ranting... a little upset.
Mon at 4:48pm · 
Candylove Saunders
I got shoes, clothes, trips to wal-mart, taken out to eat all the time....I don't understand it either, and it made it even worse, because I didn't know how my mother couldn't see the signs either!
Mon at 4:49pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
If you THINK something is going on, parents, INVESTIGATE!!
Mon at 4:50pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
The set was sooo quiet...
Mon at 4:59pm · 
Ashley Ann Joy Heslop
pretending to be asleep was what I did too. I was too scared to even know what else to do...and it is correct that people that have been molested don't tell right away, it took me years to even be able to open up to anyone about it. Still to this day I get nervous being around guys to this day and it's been 6 years. It's crazy what this can do to a person.
Mon at 7:37pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
But you survived (and you are a beautiful lady!) You are destined for great things which is why you are still here... and you have got support in this corner of the world... ;)
Mon at 11:37pm · 
Ashley Ann Joy Heslop
...i did survive, and i'm glad :) thanks
Tue at 12:11am · 


Conversation 2:








LaQuisha Hall ♥ To ALL victims and survivors: YOU ARE NOT ALONE. (watching Oprah...) ♥

Mon at 4:38pm
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
Oprah said it: "When a child is abused, it kills their spirit. It changes who they are."
Mon at 4:43pm · 
Katie Rebekka
So true..
Mon at 4:45pm · 
Michelle Field
You tell it like it is! I am glad you are a voice for all of us. It certainly changed who I was and how I thought of myself and all men, unfortunately, including my dad. Keep it up!
Mon at 4:46pm · 
LaQuisha Hall

OMG!! You never told me... :'(
Mon at 4:46pm · 
Peta-Gay Lewis
I am watching Oprah also. It is so enlightening for a parent.
Mon at 4:46pm · 
Katie Rebekka
I wish more parent's paid more attention to there children an who they allow their children to be alone with.. I wish mine did :'(
Mon at 4:47pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
Me too...
Mon at 4:49pm · 
Katie Rebekka

Yea my Mom till this day won't listen and refused to believe the man she married isn't a good man...
Mon at 4:50pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
LaQuisha Hall
I am so sorry, sweets.... but I BELIEVE you and you are NOT alone. ♥
Mon at 4:52pm · 
Peta-Gay Lewis

It breaks my heart to know you two (and others) have experienced this but by your sharing your stories it is ensuring that people are aware of pedophiles and ways to protect their children.
Mon at 4:53pm · 
Candylove Saunders
 I just wrote the same thing on the first status she wrote about the show!

My mother knows deep down inside I just don't think she could accept that it really happened, and if she does she'll have to do everything on her own. So she feels it's better to just keep it under the rug, and pretend like it didn't happen!
Mon at 4:54pm · 
Enid Kelley

There's going to be an interview on my local news tonight with the mother of a child whose body was found Christmas Day afternoon after she'd been abducted and murdered by a sex offender. The biggest question is going to be why she was living with her aunt. The offender is the aunt's boyfriend. ALot of people in the community seem to think the aunt and/or the mother should be charged with child endangerment or something for exposing this child to a known pedofile. For the full story, do a search for Sarah Haley Foxwell-Salisbury MD.
Mon at 5:07pm · 
Ashley Ann Joy Heslop
Thank you so much for posting this. I've been struggling a lot recently with have flashbacks about the incidents. I just needed to hear that i'm not alone. Thank you so much.
Mon at 7:14pm · 
LaQuisha Hall
You are welcome sweets! I am sorry that you are struggling with the issues still, but remember that healing from this is a lifelong process. You can do it! Feel free to keep in touch if you need additional comfort or encouragement... ♥
Mon at 11:33pm · 
Ashley Ann Joy Heslop






...thanks. ♥
Tue at 12:08am · 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!