Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Walking the Mile...

Towson University Union, where the march began.
Again, this April, I volunteered at Towson University's Walk a Mile in Her Shoes®: The International Men's March to Stop Rape, Sexual Assault & Gender Violence. Men literally walk one mile in women's high heeled shoes to protest sexualized violence, educate their communities and raise money for chronically underfunded rape crisis centers, domestic violence shelters and other sexualized violence prevention and recovery services. Tabling for TurnAround, Inc. with Marie and Cassie was fun and for the first time in all of my years of participating in this event, I walked the mile with the men!

Mariah Battle, Miss United States Beautiful International, with her cute as a button self, joined us briefly! It was so great to see her lovely smile. TurnAround, Inc. Volunteers: Marie, Cassie, Bridgette and I. 
 With the handsome, supportive volunteers from the university soccer team! :)
 Every year, I try to find the guy with the biggest feet, just so you can see how deep this is... lol. I did not wear heels this year, but I figured my swarovski crystal Steve Madden flats would still be a hit. :)
 The mission of the Walk a Mile in Her Shoes organization is to engage men and their communities in efforts to stop rape, sexual assault and gender violence. I am always glad to see so many supportive men... 
 Making a sign for the march!
 Attempting to draw a butterfly, the TurnAround, Inc. logo... lol. 
 I think the sign came out alright!! :)
 Friends who marched with us. :)
 Ok, so I love my sign... lol. Yes, I do. I held it up during the entire mile! 
 I know you all will not believe this, but Tim Tooten, the WbalTV Channel 11 News Anchor, is my new friend, lol! I am glad he interviewed my marching team (Marie, Cassie and I) and put this important cause on the news. We joked around about ages; he said he was old enough to be my daddy! By the time we done laughing, I was "Quisha Girl" and he was simply "Tim". :) A special thank you for their support to Tim, his camera man and the WbalTV News team!
Click here to watch my team and I on the news!   

Until the next Walk a Mile or next April... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!