Thursday, February 4, 2010

Update: To My Blog Readers...

I know you are wondering what happened as I usually make a post every other day or so... I am currently dealing with a lot. I was recently attacked out of nowhere by more than one person on Facebook and I am now contemplating whether or not I want to continue traveling the road of advocacy.

I have advocated very hard for the past few years against sexual abuse and domestic violence. I have shared how both my mom and I have been hurt by these catastrophic issues. I have also shared how I have healed and how others can too... However, I have been told by those, who have NEVER heard me speak about these issues, that I am not healed and that I need to "stop"....

On one hand, I feel that I absolutely must continue advocating because of how prevalent these issues are. (1 out of 3 girls and 1 out of 6 boys are sexually abused before 18 years old and 1 in 4 women experience domestic violence in their lifetime... do the math--millions of people are affected!) At one time in my life I needed someone to help me, tell me what route to take, encourage me to talk to someone so that what was happening would stop... I often wonder what would have happened if I ever met an advocate as a teen... Would I have told sooner? Would the person who harmed me now be in jail? If I would have had a rape kit done, would they have believed me automatically?

On the other hand, I feel that I should stop sharing my story as it has hurt those that I care about. I am told to give others "another chance" because they are "human"... However, the same way I am told that I need to forgive, I feel they should too.

So, I am dealing with one-sided thoughts and people. My phone is currently off and will be for some time. For a while, or at least while I sort things out, I will not update personal Facebook status messages nor will I update my community work, however I will continue it.

I am truly hurt right now, but it is not because of the abuse, but because of the poor relationships I have with those who don't even talk to me about what is going on but are supposed to care... All they know is what they see on my blog--none of them have have directly asked me prior to attacking me what I am going through, how they can help me, etc.

So, for now, I will stop sharing my personal story (while others out there are suffering from the same situations) and forgive as I was told to do....

I guess that is only fair. But, if they are reading this... EVERYBODY  deserves a second chance and is human--remember that and be an example.

9 comments:

  1. Your in my prayers LaQuisha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LAQUISHA....DON'T YOU DARE STOP SHARING YOUR MESSAGE! Your courage, love and the passion you have for sharing your message has helped so many (including myself...as I lived 2,093 days in a violent household). I was ASHAMED for so long to speak up regarding what I had went through during my early 20s and it wasn't until I met someone very much like you that I found the courage to take back my life and "STOP THE SILENCE!"

    You are a hero to so many. Do not listen to what a few naysayers have to say. They do not know you. They do not love you. They do not appreciate you!!

    THANK YOU for being my hero! The world needs you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The devil is a liar!
    CLEARLY GOD'S ANOINTING AND FAVOR IS ALL OVER YOU AND AND ALL AROUND YOU! God has allowed you to share your story and be a blessing to soooooooo many people! I stand and agree with you right now and I claim victory on your behalf! YOU ARE AN ANGEL and for us to lose your voice would be a crying shame! I am praying for you my friend....and praying that you continue to STOP THE SILENCE!!!

    I love you,
    Adriene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole M. BrownFebruary 05, 2010

    LaQuisha you are in my prayers!!! Please DO NOT STOP sharing your story. You have touched so many lives along this journey. God has truly blessed you throughout this past year. Do not let the naysayers steal your your or your shut you down. Do not let Satan get the victory over this situation. I love you and I pray that you will continue to speak out regardless of what other say. Sometimes you have to let the haters hate. No matter who they are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clearly the devil said " Oh, No! She's awake!" when you woke up this morning. Whether you are healed or not, is only between you and God. I believe there are levels of healing and I pray the you continue with your journey of healing. Part of that process can be sharing your story. Stay strong. I love you, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey-I just read your blogspot and I just wanted to say, please don't ever stop advocating for this cause. People need to hear what you have to say. You are amazing and such an inspiration.

    Ash♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. LaQuisha, I admire you for what you stand for in regard to stopping childhood abuse this is something that touches my heart so deeply.
    Thank you, JM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your experience with the world! Although I was never a victim of child sexual abuse, my mother and aunt were. My mother did not tell our family until she was in her late 30's. My aunt still "blocks" the experience and has not admitted to the abuse, but my mom and my aunt shared abusers. I have a close friend who confided in me (in sixth grade) that her older brother was abusing her. For these reasons, including my own, the problem of Sexual abuse/assault means so much to me.

    I appreciate you giving me the chance to share this story with girls who will truly benefit from it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of this contest before, but please accept my congratulations. I appreciate anyone who willingly steps out to support overcomers of sexual crime. I will call in to your group call tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!