Saturday, April 25, 2009

Walking for Carter Linz through March of Dimes

1 in 8 babies are born premature and the rate has been escalating steadily and alarmingly over the past two decades. Preterm birth can happen to any pregnant women and the cause is unknown for 50% of those births. The March of Dimes has made some progress in learning the causes of premature birth, but still need help. One day all babies will be born healthy, but we have to walk to get there!

Today I walked approximately 4.2 miles with Deanna, Andy, Halo and Jack Linz and Peta-Gay Lewis in support of Carter Linz who was born prematurely earlier this year. We had a lot of fun walking, talking and laughing! I even got to walk the dog, Jack! I am so glad that I was able to help the Linz family today. I realize what they are going through is hard and there is not much I can do about it--being there for the walk made me feel as if I was helping.

Also, I was finally able to give Peta-Gay her "surprise" that I have been telling her about all week! (I am terrible at giving gifts because I want to tell the person what they got the day they got it!) She was so surprised to receive her framed Reading is Fundamental (RIF) Volunteer of the Year Nominee award and gold RIF pin! I am disappointed that she was not chosen as the winner, but happy I could be a part of awarding her for her efforts. RIF was very helpful in allowing me to make today happen. Peta-Gay deserves it as she has worked hard on book distributions and collecting donations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!